65th Annual (2023) MEETING OF THE SOUTHWEST ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT in conjunction with Federation of Business Disciplines
8-12 MARCH 2023 HYATT REGENCY HOUSTON 1200 LOUISIANA STREET HOUSTON, TX 77002
Submission Portal: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=swam23 Submission Window: September 12 to November 01, 2022
Do not expect an extension to the submission deadline of 11:59pm on November 1, 2022
Full Paper Tracks
Full papers include empirical research papers, conceptual and theoretical papers, editorials and viewpoints, practice and white papers, case studies, and review papers. At least one author must register for and attend the conference to present the paper in a session, or the paper will be removed from the program. While it is understood that the vast majority of conference submissions are "working papers," manuscripts that appear incomplete will be moved from the full paper track to the developmental paper track (see below). Accepted full papers will be given the opportunity to:
- Compete for best paper
- Submit a six-page abridged format for inclusion in the 2023 conference proceedings, which will be published as a special edition of Administrative Issues Journal (ISSN: 2153-7615)
- Select full papers may be invited to submit to a special issue of Organization Management Journal, sponsored by SWAM in conjunction with Eastern Academy of Management
Strategy and Organizational Theory
Texas A&M University-San Antonio email@example.com
Org Development and Human Resources
Justin Wareham Oklahoma City University firstname.lastname@example.org
Small Business and Start-up Ventures
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay email@example.com
Occupations (e.g., healthcare or hospitality)
Shiang-Lih Chen McCain Colorado Mesa University firstname.lastname@example.org
University of New Haven email@example.com
Management Education and Pedagogy
Southeastern Oklahoma State University firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Methods and Philosophy of Science
University of Houston-Downtown email@example.com
Administración en Español (Virtual Only)
Fort Hays State University firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: All tracks require in-person presentation and there is no virtual option, except the Spanish-language track, which is virtual only and there is no in-person option. Authors presenting in the Spanish-language track and another track should expect to attend the conference and present the Spanish-language paper virtually.
Developmental Paper Track
Many scholars attend SWAM each year to showcase their research early in its development. They do so to find suitable collaborators and coauthors, get valuable feedback from their peers, and gain insights into their research questions. Developmental papers can be any style or track suitable for SWAM, as described above, and may include papers from abstract-only to nearly complete. Frequently, authors submit the "front end" of their paper, prior to completing data collection, in order to get feedback on appropriate methods and sources of data.
- Developmental papers require at least one person listed in the submission to register for the conference and attend the session.
- Developmental papers are included in the conference program, but are not double-blind reviewed and are not eligible for paper awards or inclusion in the proceedings.
- Please identify if you are submitting an FBD Poster Session on the title page of your
Panels, Symposia, and Workshops
Each year, the SWAM Board actively seeks out high-impact panels, symposia, and workshops for attendees, including the doctoral consortium, deans panel, journal editors panel, and others. To enhance the value SWAM is able to deliver to members, panels, symposia, and workshops are selected from submissions by the Program Chair in coordination with Officers of the SWAM Board.
- Panels, symposia, and workshops require all persons listed in the submission to register for the conference and attend the session. If all presenters are not registered by March 03, 2023, the session will be dropped.
- Panels, symposia, and workshops are included in the conference program, but are not double-blind reviewed and are not eligible for paper awards or inclusion in the proceedings.
- For clarification on whether your topic would work best as a panel, symposium, or workshop, you can discuss your submission directly with the Program Chair (email@example.com) prior to submission to EasyChair.
Panel: A panel discussion involves a group of experts providing insights on a topic of interest to SWAM members (i.e., management faculty). Attendees should leave a panel with a deeper understanding of a complex challenge or issue. A panel discussion should include three-to-five experts and a moderator, and conclude with a question-and-answer session. Example panels include the Deans Panel and the Journal Editors Panel.
Symposium: A symposium involves a collective of like-minded scholars coming together to build knowledge around a topic of interest to SWAM members. The coordinator of a symposium should utilize a Socratic (or similar) method of eliciting active discourse to advance thought around the topic. In many cases, symposia are built around nascent research streams and emergent ideas. Example symposia include Management Research in the Military and Increasing Management Faculty Diversity.
Workshop: A workshop involves a group of experts training the attendees on a topic of interest to SWAM members, which would generally be aimed at improving skill in teaching or research. Attendees should leave a workshop with new knowledge and skills that they can take back to their roles as faculty and/or higher-education administrators. Example workshops include Using R-studio to Conduct Structural Equation Modeling and Building Quantitative Reasoning Skills in Undergraduate Management Students.
- September 12 - Submission Portal Opens
- November 01 - Deadline for Submissions
- November 01 - Nominations for Outstanding Educator Due
- November 21 - Decision Letters Sent to Authors
- December 01 - Hotel Registration Opens
- December 01 - Conference Registration Opens
- December 15 - Presentation Date/Time Information Available
- January 15 - Program Published to SWAM Website
- February 01 - Abridged Papers Due to Proceedings Editor
- February 13 - Hotel Block Reservations End
- February 13 - Early Registration Ends
- March 8 to 11 - Welcome to Houston and Enjoy the Conference
Colorado Mesa University
Grand Junction CO