Discussion: View Thread

SIOP Work Smart Series: "The 'Great R': Reality, Response and Reset in a Post-Pandemic Workplace Information"

• 1.  SIOP Work Smart Series: "The 'Great R': Reality, Response and Reset in a Post-Pandemic Workplace Information"

Posted 06-02-2022 21:58
    Dear colleagues,
    Apologies for cross-postings.
    Next Tuesday (June 7, 2022), the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP) is hosting a "Content + Connection" session entitled

The "Great R": Reality, Response and Reset in a Post-Pandemic Workplace
    I have pasted the session description below this email. However, this description, along with the list of presenters (an all-star cast, plus yours truly), and information on how to register can also be found here:
    The session is part of SIOP's "Work Smart" series (and who among us wouldn't want to "work smart?" 😁)--but, importantly, one need not be a SIOP member to attend. Please join us for an evidence-based look at the mid- and post-pandemic workplace, and please feel free to forward this email to your colleagues and students who may be interested in the topic.

Thanks,
    Reeshad
    SESSION DESCRIPTION:

In this third session of SIOP's Work Smart Series we will focus on one of the most multi-faceted workforce phenomena our times -- what we are calling "The Great R."

Initially, the term "The Great Resignation" was coined by I-O psychologist Anthony Klotz to describe the wave of people leaving their jobs. Since that time  a multitude of other labels have been used to describe the current period of workplace change: Reshuffle, Reset, Re-imagination, Revolution...and dozens more.

As I-O psychologists and talent managers it is challenging to separate reality from hype among the rapidly changing statistics we see and hear daily. Of even greater complexity is sorting out what to do about this the dramatic Reset going on in the workplace, from CEOs to front-line workers. Leading I-O psychologists and talent managers face an unprecedented opportunity to re-think how we bring purpose to work, ensure work-life balance and attract and retain a sufficient and diverse supply of talent.

This session will blend the best of science and practice bringing together researchers doing cutting edge analysis  and practitioners on the front line of addressing the new realities of work. Dr. Reeshad Dalal, Professor of Industrial-Organizational Psychology, will serve as moderator.

• Part 1 of this session will focus on "What's for Real"? – and will feature highly current research being done by Dr. Marino Mugayar-Baldocchi and his colleagues at McKinsey & Company.
    • Part 2 of the session will focus on "What's the Response?" I-O researchers and practitioners will share case studies and facilitate discussion on how organizations are responding to the new workplace dynamics. Each participant can select two of the following topics to engage in: 
      • Purpose and Job Embeddedness – Dr. Seymour Adler & Dr. Brian Ruggeberg (Kincentric)
      • Recruitment and Selection – Dr. Chad Thompson (MIX)
      • Leveraging the Aging Workforce  –Dr. Miriam Nelson (Korn Ferry) and Dr. Paul van Katwyk (Saudi Aramco)
      • Employee Listening and Culture – Dr. Evan Sinar (Better-Up)
      • Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Dr. Bernardo Ferdman (Ferdman Consulting) 
      • Bringing Women Back – Dr. Anna Marie Valerio (Executive Leadership Strategies and  Mr. Jeff Quinn, Leadership Insights & Development)
      • Workplace Flexibility – Ms. Terri McNelly (Hershey) and Dr. Chia-Lin Ho (Red Hat)
    • Part 3 will conclude by summarizing learnings on "What's the Reset?"

Objectives:

• Broaden awareness of the diverse areas of talent management impacted by The Great R (resignation, reset, reshuffle, reimagination….) taking place in the workplace.
    • Gain information from leading edge survey research related to The Great R.
    • Engage with multiple I-O psychology experts and peers to discuss aspects of work impacted by The Great R.
    • Discuss implications for participants' workplaces and the role I-O psychologists and talent managers can play in ensuring positive outcomes.

_._,_._,_

------------------------------
    Reeshad Dalal, Ph.D.
    Professor, Industrial and Organizational Psychology
    George Mason University
    Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
    rdalal@gmu.edu
    http://psychology.gmu.edu/people/rdalal
    https://sites.google.com/site/reeshaddalal
    ------------------------------