The Thomas A. Mahoney Mentoring Award is given annually by the Human Resources Division of the Academy of Management to an individual who has distinguished himself/herself in the mentoring of PhD students. This award is named in memory of Tom Mahoney, who himself provided so much guidance to developing PhD students over his long career. The award winner will be announced at the Academy meeting during the HR Division Awards Ceremony and receive a plaque and a $500 honorarium.
In support of the HR Division's goal of increasing member involvement and its international reach, we strongly encourage nominations that reflect the rich diversity, backgrounds, and perspectives of our membership.
- A clear record of extensive work with PhD students, especially as dissertation chair, primary supervisor, or equivalent.
- The impact of the nominee’s PhD students upon the science, teaching and practice of human resource management.
- A long length of service (25+ years post-graduate school) is a condition for eligibility for this award.
Nominations should adhere to the following procedures:
- Only members of the Human Resource Division of the Academy of Management may be nominated for the award.
- Nominations must be submitted by a member of the Human Resource Division.
- A current c.v. of the nominee should accompany a nomination.
- A listing of PhD students the nominee has worked with and the current CVs of up to 10 former PhD students should accompany the nomination.
- Up to three (3) letters of recommendation that address the award criteria should accompany a nomination.
- Selection committee members are eligible; those who receive nominations will recuse themselves from the review process.
- Please combine all required materials (CVs, Cover Letter, Recommendation Letters, etc.) into a single PDF document (less than 100 MB) and use the “nominate” button to complete an official nomination for this award.
- The nomination deadline is February 1, 2021.